Sunday, February 6, 2011

I was approached by R.A. Evans, author of Asylum Lake, to do a guest blog piece for his site.

To think or to write? Courtney Conant – Guest Blogger

Posted: February 7, 2011 by R.A. Evans writes... in Guests Posts
Tags:
, ,


Every author has a different way of going about things, different tricks and tips that they might share for getting past writer’s block. What works for me? What is my tip? Stop thinking about it and just do it!

For me, I don’t write; my fingers do. I’ve always found that when I actually try to think when I’m working on a piece, it turns out to be more like word vomit than anything worth reading. I had attempted to write a novel many times. It had always been a goal of mine, ever since I was a small child. I always dreamed that I would write the next best seller and that my book would be on shelves around the world. More than twenty years after the dream burrowed its way into my head, it still has not come to pass.

I spent many wasted attempts working on that novel. Each attempt had many hours of planning and plotting behind it. I would write up a concept for the book, put together an outline, build character descriptions and backgrounds. I put so much work into the book that by the time I got around to writing it, I had already lost my way. No matter how hard I tried, I just could not actually WRITE the story I wanted to tell. After having this happen to me several times, I decided to go about it a different way…

Read the entire post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment